What are some of the difficult questions faculty and students ask during this course?
Students and faculty entertain tough questions and propositions, with few to no
easy answers. Some examples follow:
- Are humans clever apes?
- What is myth, and why may it be important for "modern" western cultures?
- Is war an inevitable part of the human condition?
- How should humans respond to the knowledge that their earth is a speck in an inconceivably
- Why do humans produce visual art? Music?
- Why should humans care about the environment?
- Can the human mind be explained by the chemical interactions of the brain?
- How should humans respond to the indeterminacy of a quantum universe?
- When does life begin?
- When does a person begin?