Campus videos are a great way of keeping students and the community informed with happenings in the classroom and around campus. To ensure videos are accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing community, The Office of Accessibility would like to encourage faculty, staff, and student organizations to submit web-based educational and promotional videos for captioning. Each submission will be analyzed on a case-by-case basis. Captioning urgency will be determined by the video’s purpose, length, and usage. Each video must meet the mission of Auburn University.
Due to the increase in media used for instructional purposes and because of continuing increases in media produced by the University, the Office of Accessibility (OA) will prioritize the captioning process. OA will caption media in the following order of priority:
- Media used for instructional purposes for a student who is deaf or hard of hearing, and who is enrolled at the University;
- Media used at a University event in which a person who is deaf or hard or hearing is in known to be in attendance;
- Media used to promote the University (e.g. admissions, orientation, news);
Videos will be captioned and returned in a timely manner for classroom use or to post on university websites.
Steps To Request Captioning:
Step One: Submit media (i.e., DVD, URL, video file, etc.) to the Office of Accessibility at least 7 business days prior to the date that the media is needed.
- Requests typically take no longer than 3-4 business days to be captioned, however, depending upon length and quality of the video, production may take longer. (ex: videos 2+ hours in length will require longer completion time, as will videos with poor quality)
- Requests submitted less than (7) business days from the date that the media is needed may not be completed on time.
- Media may be submitted to the office by dropping off a cd/dvd/flash drive, or through OIT's FileMover (use firstname.lastname@example.org as the designated email).
- OA staff will contact faculty/staff if there are any questions or need for clarification prior to the start of the job.
Step Two: The Office of Accessibility will caption videos in house or submit the media to a third party to be captioned. Video(s) will be prepared to meet accessibility regulations, which are required for all university videos.
Any office interested in setting up an account with third party captioning service independent of the Office of Accessibility please contact us for details at 334-844-2096.
Step Three: Faculty/staff will be notified when the captioned video(s) are completed and ready for pick up.
Faculty/Staff can request that completed videos be returned via: FileMover, pickup, or uploaded to a designated location.